About Gilbert L. Carey
Mr. Carey is an attorney and certified public accountant who practices in the areas of Taxation, Estate Planning, and Business Law, solving tax, business and legal challenges for privately held businesses and their owners.
Mr. Carey regularly advises clients on tax matters, including personal, business, trust, and estate tax. He also advises businesses on transactional matters and counsels business owners on the development of business succession strategies as part of a comprehensive estate and wealth preservation plan.
Mr. Carey teaches and lectures on accounting, tax and estate planning matters. He served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Albany Law School in Albany, New York and at the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center and School in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Prior to joining Hook Law Center, Mr. Carey engaged in the practice of law with prominent regional and national law firms in New York and Atlanta where he worked on tax, estate planning, business law and commercial litigation matters.
Following law school, Mr. Carey was a personal law clerk to Hon. Lawrence E. Kahn, U.S. District Judge for the Northern District of New York.
Before attending law school, he worked as a tax consultant for PricewaterhouseCoopers in Boston where he advised privately held companies on a wide array of tax matters.
Mr. Carey is an Officer in the U.S. Army Reserve where he recently completing his tenure as the Command Judge Advocate for the 1179th Transportation Surface Brigade. He currently serves as a Rule of Law Team Chief for the 213th Legal operations Detachment. He previously served as Counsel for the 411th Engineer Brigade during the unit’s deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Previously, Mr. Carey was Company Commander of the Headquarters Company, 411th Engineer Brigade.
- Northeastern University, Boston, MA, B.S., Business Administration with dual concentrations in Accounting and Finance
- Albany Law School, Albany, NY, J.D., concentration in Business Law
- Associate Editor, Albany Law Journal of Science & Technology
- Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center and School, Charlottesville, VA, Post-graduate study in administrative law, fiscal law and government contracting
- U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, KS, Military Art and Science
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trusts and Estate Law
- Georgia Bar Association, Tax Section
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Georgia Society of CPAs
- New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT
Honors and Awards
- Bronze Star Medal for service in Iraq
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Army Commendation Medal
- National Defense Service Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Iraqi Campaign Medal, two campaign stars