About Andrew H. Hook
Andrew H. “Andy” Hook is the president of Hook Law Center, where he practices in the areas of elder law, estate and trust administration, estate, tax, retirement and financial planning, long-term care planning, asset protection planning, special needs planning, business succession planning and personal injury settlement consulting. Hook Law Center serves southeastern Virginia and northeastern North Carolina. Permanent offices are located in Virginia Beach and Suffolk; however, other clients within the area are served at select locations on the Peninsula and on the Outer Banks.
A 1975 graduate of the University of Virginia’s School of Law, Mr. Hook is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) and a Fellow of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA). Mr. Hook is certified as an Elder Law Attorney (CELA) by the National Elder Law Foundation. Mr. Hook is also a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP), and an accredited attorney for the preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims for veteran benefits before the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Mr. Hook is a former President of the Special Needs Alliance, a nationwide network of disability attorneys, a former Director of NAELA, and a former editor-in-chief of the NAELA Journal. Mr. Hook is the author of the BNA Tax Management Portfolio on Durable Powers of Attorney, and a co-author of “Representing the Elderly and Disabled Client” published by RIA. Mr. Hook in 2018 will become a co-author of the SNT Handbook published by Wolters Kluwer.
He has been interviewed by local radio and television stations, The Virginian-Pilot, and The Wall Street Journal. He also is a frequent speaker at state and national professional meetings, having mostly recently presented at ACTEC’s national meeting in Scottsdale, AZ in March 2017.
University of Virginia School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1975
University of Virginia
Bachelor of Science, Nuclear Engineering, with High Distinction, 1972
- Special Needs Alliance
- Virginia Chapter of NAELA
- Fellow of the American College of Trusts and Estates Counsel
- Tidewater Estate Planning Council
- Fellow of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Trust and Estate Section of the Virginia Bar Association
- Department of Veterans Affairs Accreditation #9035
- Accredited Estate Planner (AEP)
- Virginia State Bar, 1975
- United States District Court
- United States Tax Court
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals
- Series 65 – Uniform Investment Adviser Law Examination
- Life and Health Insurance Agent
- Certified Elder Law Attorney*
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
*Certified by the National Elder Law Foundation. The Virginia State Bar does not certify Elder Law Attorneys.
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. owns the certification marks CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ and in the U.S., which it awards to individuals who successfully complete CFP Board’s initial and ongoing certification requirements.
Honors and Awards
- Named to Virginia Lawyer Hall of Fame, Class of 2021
- Recognized by Best Lawyers of America© for his work in Elder Law & Trusts and Estates
- Named by Best Lawyers in America as a 2022 Lawyer of the Year for Elder Law in Norfolk
- Named by VA Lawyers Weekly as one of Virginia’s “Go To Lawyers” for Elder Law
- Named by Virginia Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top attorneys in Virginia, 2006 – 2008
Representing the Elderly or Disabled Client published by RIA (co-authored with Thomas Begley Jr.)
BNA Portfolio on Durable Powers of Attorney